What is a routine?
• The definition of routine is, “habitual or mechanical performance of an established procedure”
• Now, you may think that you’re too spontaneous or mindful to have a routine. I’ve been told that it’s not “Zen” to be robotic and that to have a routine is to be stuck in a rut… to that… I say you must not be living in 2020 and on the planet earth. Having a routine can be the difference being sinking and swimming.
Why is having a routine important?
• Having a routine allows you to get stuff out of your head and just done. We have so much that we must think about and so much stuff coming at us planned and unplanned that we have to deal with, having a routine really simplifies life for us.
• Having a routine also helps us develop good habits that allows us to reach our full potential, it also helps to eradicate bad habits that do not serve us well.
• If you are looking to change your life, a good place to start is your daily routine.
• If you look at any successful person’s life, you will notice a few recurring themes—one of which is a healthy and consistent daily routine.
• They wake up earlier, they follow a fixed schedule, and they end their day in a relaxing way.
How do you create a routine?
• Your daily routine will become what empowers you and enables you to reach goals and achieves your successes. So, you must make sure you start out on the right foot but remember when beginning a new routine is to start slow. All change requires time and patience.
• Starting any new routine is a big deal, so you should acknowledge and really be proud of yourself if you are setting out on this track! Take a moment to congratulate yourself on wanting to make a positive change.
• Identify what it is you do or want to do and then make a list; its okay to be specific
• There are habits that are best implemented at specific times of the day. Habits that you feel are more difficult for you to commit and see through are best done in the AM hours. Great example of this could be your daily workout.
• The way you start of your morning really does set the tone for the entire day. Some examples are AM healthy habits are:
o Make your bed
Why is this so important? It is a task started and completed simply and immediately!
o Meditate for a few minutes
o Visualize a successful and productive day
o Journaling - write a few things you are grateful for, setting your intention for the day
o Go through (or write down now) your to-do list for the day, i.e. pick up cleaning – can you schedule that?
• Schedule when you would get things done
• Be realistic, self-aware and be honest – so you can set yourself up for success
o Start small and start slow. You can always add to your daily routine
• Do not commit until you test it out!
How do you successfully implement and stick to your routine?
• Be consistent with schedules
• Always be realistic about your schedule and be prepared. By prepared I mean mentally and emotionally ready to commit to this.
• Go easy on yourself
• Track your progress
• Reward yourself
o Some examples of rewards can be Sunday night dessert treat
o Purchasing a small item each week that you commit and stick to your schedule
What is a routine?